Monday, July 7, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: "RAW FOOD MADE FUN, EASY & BEAUTIFUL" BY JONNY FREESH

Today I am sharing with you my review of the freeshest raw cookbook of this summer - "Raw Food Made Fun, Easy & Beautiful" by Jonny Freesh. Jonny is the chef and rapper behind the blog Jonny Freesh, the raw food courses "Raw Food Bali" and some insane raw food rap videos . Not enough that he is sitting in the pool rapping about raw chocolate, Jonny has now created a new raw food cookbook with 63 amazing sweet and savory recipes (click here to go directly to the book).


The book covers everything from breakfast granola over exotic salads, raw sauces and spreads, raw breads, hearty dishes and especially new out-of-this-world desserts. If you can't believe me, scroll down to check out some of his beautiful creations.

Coconut Banana Cream Pie, Red Veg Seaweed Salad, Strawberry Granola and Durian Cheesecake; all by Jonny Freesh

However, what I love most about this book, besides the obviously stunning recipes, are all the little tips and tricks that Jonny gives his readers to make raw food preparation easy, affordable and delicious. You can even learn how to make your own photobox! This book is a Must-Have for all raw food beginners and long-term rawtarians!

Today I share with you already Jonny's recipe for "Piquante Lettuce Burrito Wraps With Walnut ReFreeshed Beans". These wraps are filled with crunchy, hearty walnut refreeshed beans, creamy guacamole and a spicy red pepper apple salsa and they are SO GOOD. The instructions say "Serves 3-4" .. well I ate that in two days :)
Here are some pictures what the wraps looked like when I made them and below you find the recipe.




Piquante Lettuce Burrito Wraps with Walnut ReFreeshed Beans 


Tools
(Optional) Food Processor

Ingredients
Walnut ReFreeshed Beans
1 cup Walnuts (soaked & dehydrated)
½ cup Sunflower Seeds (soaked & dehydrated)                    
2 tbsp Diced Onion
1 tsp Balsamic
½ tsp Dried Rosemary                                                      
½ tsp Smoked Paprika
¼ tsp Black Pepper                                                           
5 tsp Olive Oil
2 tsp Tamari / Bragg's / Coconut Aminos                      
A Pinch of Salt
1 Clove of Garlic (minced)

Guacamole
2 cups Chopped Avocado (approximately 2 medium avocados)
2 Cloves of Garlic (minced)
2 tsp Lime Juice
A Pinch of Salt

Red Pepper Apple Salsa
¼ cup Cilantro (remove big stems) (lightly packed to measure) (chopped)
¼ cup Parsley (remove big stems) (lightly packed to measure)
2 tbsp Arugula (remove big stems) (lightly packed to measure)
¾ cup Minced Apple
2 cup Minced Red Pepper
1/3 cup Cucumber Seeds
¼ tsp Salt
1 tbsp Liquid Sweetener of Choice
¾ tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Red Wine Vinegar

Wraps
Lettuce / Chinese Cabbage / Collard Greens

Serves 3-4 as main or 6-8 as appetizer.

Process
1.  Either blitz all Walnut Refreeshed Beans in the food processor just until you have small rice sized chunks of Walnuts or chop everything to that size and mix in a bowl. When I was making this recipe the electricity cut out so I made it entirely without appliances. What a refreeshing experience it was!
2.  Mash Avocado and mix in remaining Guacamole ingredients.
3.  Chop all Salsa ingredients and mix in a bowl.
4.  Combine Walnut ReFreeshed Beans, Salsa and Guacamole in your Leafy Green of choice.
5.  Plate and Serve!
  

Enjoy!

*In addition to this review, I am giving away two copies of Jonny Freesh's new book "Raw Food Made Fun, Easy & Beautiful". Comment on this blog post or on my facebook page why you would love to win one copy and I will choose the winners this Friday. Good luck!* 

5 comments:

  1. looks like a fantastic book where can I purchase a copy from

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you can still enter the giveaway or get the book directly on Jonny's page :)

      Delete
  2. Would love to win one of these, as having tried out high raw, I now want to go towards 100% raw (most of the time at least). The difference to my health has been dramatic; skin and joint problems improved with a vegan diet but the more raw I get the more they are disappearing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually wrote an entry but wasn't signed and when I wanted to post it, it was deleted.
    Anway, the recipes as well as the whole book look gorgeous and I'd love to try them out as many as possible since it's summer and just about everything is in peak season so they would make a total explosion in the mouth :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are what you eat - even though I've heard people say this, I've only recently really started to understand and internalize it. What we eat drives not only our bodies on the most basic level, but it drives our 'every day': how we see the world, how we experience our surroundings, and how we interact with everyone and everything around us. What we eat is so fundamental to who we are, and a raw, plant-based diet makes us experience the world differently. I never thought I'd be so excited about something silly like tomatoes or apricots on farmer's market day! Paying attention to what we eat really should go hand-in-hand with paying attention to where our food comes from and supporting good, healthy sources of food like local farm shares and farm stands. Growing produce organically is hard work but in return for the extra cost I invest in my CSA, I get surprised with new and different produce that I have never had before, and may have never bought otherwise. And this is why I would love to win a copy of this book: to help inspire me with new ideas, new methods, and new flavor experiences so I can continue to grow and spread the joy of raw cooking across as many relationships as I can.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...