Wednesday, November 27, 2013

LAYERED THANKSGIVING SALAD with CRANBERRY WALNUT DRESSING


Last year, I spent Thanksgiving in the USA-in New York City and South Orange (NJ) with my amazing American cousin. We planned the whole holiday, decorated the house and watched the parade and ended up on the sofa, cozied up, munching on a vegan holiday menu. Although it was no big thing, we had the most wonderful time and a really thankful atmosphere. Back then, I really loved the vegan menu, but this year, I decided to go one step further and do a raw vegan Thanksgiving dish. Also, I am on my own celebrating Thanksgiving this year, since I could not find any German friend to join me and my cousin is the ocean away.
But at least I have all the great food for me :D
I thought about Thanksgiving fruits and veggies and cranberries, walnuts, apples and persimmons came to my mind. To make something sepcial and because it is for me alone, I decided to use my beautiful mason jar to make a layered thanksgiving salad.
However, I hope that you celebrate this day with your beloved ones and figured that you can easily make a huge bowl full of this layered salad or just mix everything up.
This salad is super healthy, colorful, low fat yet satisfying. I think it looks really pretty and it tastes oh so good. Here is what you need.


LAYERED THANKSGIVING SALAD with CRANBERRY WALNUT DRESSING
Serves 2-3

Salad
5 cups spinach leaves
3 cups red cabbage
1 persimmon
1 cucumber
3/4 sweet apple

Dressing
1/4 cup fresh cranberries
1/4 cup whole walnuts
1/4 sweet apple
4 pitted dates
1 cup water, or as needed

Chop all fruits and veggies and build layers.
For the dressing, blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy.
Pour over your salad and mix well. Let rest for at least 1/2 hour outside the fridge to let the dressing mingle with the salad.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...